How to Pick the Best Window and Door Firm in Your Area: A Checklist for the Prudent Consumer
The concept of do-it-yourself has gained some serious steam within our cultural zeitgeist during the past several years but it’s important to note that the vast majority of today’s DIY home improvement projects fail to address the ultimate goal of any renovation or refurbishment: bolstering the home’s intrinsic resale value.
So, if you’d like to truly move the needle, so to speak, it’s in your best interests to avoid simplistic DIY ventures and instead turn your attention towards the fixtures around your property, objects that feature a permanent connection to the actual structure. Some of the most common examples include cupboards, light fitments, and boilers but it’s worth noting that the most cost-effective, impactful fixtures are actually your property’s doors and windows, as evidenced by the facts and figures shown below:
- Installing a new entryway or some bifold patio doors provides an instantaneous boost to your home’s resale value, allowing homeowners to recoup up to 95% of their initial investment.
- Replacing your windows is slightly less remunerative than a new door installation but homeowners can still recover anywhere from 70-90% of the upfront fees in the form of increased property value.
- Contemporary doors and windows are built with energy efficiency and eco-friendliness in mind, often reducing energy loss by 50% or more, which naturally decreases your monthly utility bills during both the summer and winter.
Partnering with a Top-Notch Installation Firm
As you step away from the DIY arena and into the contractor landscape, you’ll obviously have to entrust your precious home to a team of professional builders, which is why it’s so important to ensure that you’re working with a reputable installation firm as opposed to novice contractors or self-proclaimed window and door experts. Fortunately, you can refer to the list of salient traits and characteristics shown below to help you separate the contenders from the pretenders during your research.
A Comprehensive Assortment of Products
First of all, you’ll want to avail yourself of a wide selection of products so make sure that every company on your shortlist can procure the following on an in-house basis:
- Modern Doors: The most popular styles include bifold doors, sliding doors, French doors, single glass pane doors, and various entryway variants, whereas the most prevalent materials are timber and aluminium.
- Contemporary Windows: The company should be able to facilitate double and triple glazing fabrications, composite fixed frame installations, tilt and turn windows, and a host of other iterations such as timber-based frames, folding windows, and thermally broken constructs as well.
- Alternative Specialty Products: The best-rated firms also tend to specialise in unique builds and custom installations ranging from distinctive second-story windows and pitched rooflights to full-scale glass overhangs and a host of other bespoke solutions to boot.
A Consistent Tradeshow Presence
The most distinguished window and door firms make a point of interacting with consumers by way of exhibition shows and design displays on a year-round basis so make sure that every firm on your shortlist is available for a face-to-face meeting at the following tradeshows:
- The London Homebuilding and Renovating Show (September 22-24)
- Grand Designs Live Birmingham (October 11-15)
- The National Homebuilding and Renovating Show (March 22-25)
- Build It Live (June 9th and 10th)
Open and Honest Website
When you visit the online portal of any given window and door company, you should be able to glean a lot of valuable information without having to visit any third-party websites:
- Full-fledged customer testimonials and first-hand accounts
- Inclusive gallery and portfolio of past projects (not stock photos!)
- Various case studies conducted on an in-house basis
- Up-to-date company blog that publicises any pertinent developments or news
- An easily accessible catalogue of all physical locations and showrooms
- A PDF brochure of the company’s services and products
- A comprehensive, easy-to-navigate enquiry platform